It is highly recommended that you review the privacy policies and statements of any website you choose to use as a means to better understand the way in which websites garner, make use of, and share information collected.
You may visit portions of this website that do not require registration without actively providing any personal information. However, we may collect any information provided by your web browser, including the IP address assigned to your computer when you access the Internet (including any information available through reverse-DNS lookup of that IP address, such as the domain name of your internet service provider), the address of the previous website that you visited, if you linked to this website from another website, the address of the next website that you visit, if you visit it from a link on our website, as well as your browser type, browser language, type of operating system, the date and time of your query and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser. We may also collect information obtained from images embedded in HTML-format email or web pages (i.e., “web bugs” or “pixel tags”) to link email with your subsequent interactions on our website or to track your interactions among the websites we administer and those of third parties. If you view any content on this website through an RSS feed, we may collect information obtained through your RSS reader.
Portions of this website require registration, including those that involve registration and information requests. To register, you may be asked to provide a variety of information, including your name, email address and (optionally) your phone number.
We shall endeavor and shall take every precaution to maintain adequate physical, procedural and technical security with respect to our offices and information storage facilities so as to prevent any loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure or modification of the very personal information under our control.
Any of the information we collect from you as described above may be used for the following purposes:
- To provide membership or other services to you as part of our mission, including, but not limited to, the mailing of newsletters, Academe, and other communications
- To track usage of these websites and to review patterns of user interaction
- To identify and resolve problems with the website
- To investigate suspected illegal activity or improper use of the website
We may distribute the information we collect from you to our affiliates, cooperating organizations and third-party vendors authorized by us to help us carry out our mission. We may use the information we collect from you to notify you of new services, benefits, and special offers. All users and/or visitors to the website have the option to discontinue receiving email communications from us. To discontinue or unsubscribe, please send an email stating that you wish to unsubscribe to [email protected].
Except for the uses outlined above, we will release information you provide without prior notice to you only if required to do so in accordance with applicable laws and/or in a good faith belief that such action is deemed necessary or is required by law.
When you make comments on articles or participate in any other community activities on these websites, your user name, your comments, and any other information you may designate will be retained and displayed to other users. To the extent that we use any third-party authentication service in connection with comments or other community content, we may retain and display to other users the user name provided by such service. Your participation by leaving comments or participating in other community features of this website is governed by our Commenting Policy. In the event that we migrate any of our community activities to another organization or website, we may also transfer the information you have provided in connection with your participation, so that it may be displayed by the new organization or on the new website.
This privacy notice also provides mandatory information as required under Articles 13 and 14 of the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) regarding the transparency of personal data processing for anyone residing or browsing in a European Union country (“EU”). As a potential EU data subject, you may have rights under the GDPR. The AAUP will always fully respect your rights regarding the processing of your personal data. These are:
- The right to be informed; this means anyone processing your personal data must make clear what they are processing, why, and who else the data may be passed to.
- The right of access; this is your right to see what data is held about you by a person, public authority, agency or other body which processes personal data.
- The right to rectification; the right to have your data corrected or amended if what is held is incorrect in some way.
- The right to erasure; under certain circumstances you can ask for your personal data to be deleted. This is also called ‘the Right to be Forgotten.’ This would apply if the personal data is no longer required for the purposes it was collected for, or your consent for the processing of that data has been withdrawn, or the personal data has been unlawfully processed.
- The right to restrict processing; this gives the potential EU data subject the right to ask for a temporary halt to processing of personal data, such as in the case where a dispute or legal case has to be concluded, or the data is being corrected.
- The right to data portability; a potential EU data subject has the right to ask for any data supplied directly to a person, public authority, agency or other body by him or her, to be provided in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format.
- The right to object; the potential EU data subject has the right to object to further processing of their data which is inconsistent with the primary purpose for which it was collected, including profiling, automation, and direct marketing.
- Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling; potential EU data subjects have the right not to be subject to a decision based solely on automated processing.
The American Association of University Professors makes this website and the information and services contained therein in furtherance of its mission. While we make every effort to present accurate and reliable information on these sites, we do not endorse, approve, or certify such information, nor do we guarantee the accuracy, completeness, efficacy, or timeliness of such information. Use of such information is voluntary, and reliance on it should be undertaken only after an independent review.
Unless otherwise indicated, the materials displayed on this website is the property of the American Association of University Professors, our affiliates, our members, third-party providers, or their respective licensors and is protected by copyright, trademark and other laws. Any such materials may be displayed solely for your personal, non-commercial use or redistributed for non-commercial purposes (research, teaching, private study, activism, etc.), but all materials you redistribute from this website must attribute the content to this site.
If you have a good-faith belief that content available on these websites infringes one or more of your copyrights, please notify us by sending an appropriate notice pursuant to 17 U.S.C. 512(f) of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act to the following address: AAUP Legal Office, 1133 Nineteenth St., NW, Washington, DC 20036. [email protected].
Information on this website is provided “as is,” without warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement. We do not warrant that service will be uninterrupted or error free. Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of implied warranties, so the above exclusion may not apply to you.
Information on this website may contain technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. Information may be changed or updated without notice. We may also make improvements and/or changes in the products and/or the programs described in this information at any time without notice.
It is your responsibility to take the necessary precautions to ensure that whatever you select for your use is free of viruses, worms, trojan horses, and other potentially destructive or intrusive items. In no event will we be liable to any party for any direct, indirect, special, or other damages resulting from the use of this website or of any hyperlinked website, including, and without limitation, any lost profits, business interruption, loss of data or other information, or otherwise, even if we are expressly advised of the possibility of damages.